Module 7

 Module 7 Final Reflection

We covered many topics this term, including assessments and preparing students for tests, the roles of various stakeholders in the IEP process, the Universal Design for Learning framework, growth mindset, differentiated instruction, and strategies to support students across the curriculum.  

Shutterstock 2037345572

In elementary school, formal tests are few and far between but they do happen, and after completing module 1, I realized I do not pay enough attention to preparing students for tests.  Key points in this module that resonated with me are the importance of teaching students how to work through a variety of testing formats and providing students with the necessary strategies needed to be successful with test formats and language. I often read questions aloud for students to assist them but had not considered this to be a supportive strategy until now.  In hindsight it makes sense that reading questions aloud would remove reading comprehension barriers.  When marking, I have clarified answers with students by letting them explain their answers verbally when I believed they knew the correct answer but were unable to articulate it in writing or made an error I think was due to misunderstanding the question.  My biggest take away from this module is to be more proactive when designing tests and preparing students for assessments, rather than focusing on addressing comprehension problems after assessments. Many of the barriers could be removed for students ahead of time and they could feel more confident and prepared. 

While I am currently a part time TOC and librarian, I hope to enter a School Resource Teacher role in the future. I do not have any experiences with IEPs or IEP meetings. During module 2, we spent time learning how to meaningfully include parents and students in the IEP process which is critical when determining appropriate goals and strategies.
Shutterstock 174351222 n.d.

I was not familiar with IEP planning tools and appreciated adding these documents to my tool box. I can see how these are valuable for collecting data, planning programming, as well as meaningfully including parents and students in the IEP process. I intend to use some of these tools in the future.

Learning specific concrete strategies that can be used to support students immediately is invaluable to my learning. What I especially appreciated in this course was the opportunity to explore strategies for subjects such as science, social studies, and french as these are not usually included in inclusive education discussions.  Literacy and numeracy tend to be on the forefront when learning ways to support students, and while I understand why this happens, it is critical we work to optimize student success across the curriculum.  While most of the strategies we learned are not subject specific and can be used across the curriculum, I found the module on science and SS highlighted the significant need to include supports in all subjects.

The Universal Design for Learning framework provides principles to support all students and aligns well with curricular content.  In a previous course, we learned about UDL, but never delved into it with as much depth as we did during this course. I expanded my knowledge by examining the checkpoints provided on the CAST website and feel better prepared to apply my new learning in any future educational role.

AdobeStock 201070851

At the beginning of module 7,  I appreciated the reminder from Shelley Moore's video, Under the Table - The Importance of Presuming Competence to always presume competence and be aware of our assumptions and biases. Students have their own unique strengths and abilities and it is our job as educators to determine what works best for students by identifying their specific learning needs.  As Shelley Moore suggests, we have to trust that all people can learn (2016).   I found myself reflecting on Daniel's case from our Case Study assignment.  As I was writing that assignment, I tried to remain objective and not assume that Daniel was wandering the halls to avoid work because perhaps he did genuinely need a break. Medically, maybe he needed longer bathroom breaks. As we found out, he likely had learning disabilities that presented as off task behaviour. I feel this was an example of how assumptions can be problematic and how we need to know our students well to determine how best to support them.

As this course ends, I feel I have accumulated many valuable resources, strategies, and tools.  One resource that immediately comes to mind is Jennifer Serravallo's podcasts which I feel would be worth revisiting in the future. In addition to course material, many of my classmates shared useful websites and book recommendations.  I do not know yet where I will be next year but I feel more knowledgeable and better prepared to support both students and staff in my educational role.   

References:


AdobeStock (n.d.). AdobeStock 201070851. [Image]. AdobeStock. https://stock.adobe.com


TedxTalks (2016). Under the table - The importance of presuming competence. [Video]. YouTube. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AGptAXTV7m0

Shutterstock (n.d.). Shutterstock_2037345572. [Image]. Shutterstock. https://www.shutterstock.com/create/editor/CiQwYWFkMzdiOS05YzJjLTQwN2YtODJlNC1iOTI4ODIwMzdlMGE

Shutterstock (n.d.). Shutterstock 174351222. [Image]. https://www.shutterstock.com

Comments